Monday, August 11, 2014

“What If?”

“What If?”

Have you ever stopped to think about how you spend your days and discover that there is something that you really do not like about them? Do you ever feel as though you wish you could change something about your habits that would bring a result into your life that you feel is ‘out of reach’? You probably have a fleeting thought periodically when you think of something you wish you did or had... something... and then you think...”aww...what’s the use! It’s not realistic anyway.”

Like most people, I have those moments...a lot! I know what my habits are and I recognize my ‘comfort zones’ but lately I’ve come up with a new idea that gives me a chance to expand my possibilities. It’s called the “What If?” game.

Actually, there’s nothing new about it! It’s been taught for many decades but this is MY concept for putting the theory into action. It is simply the act of thinking about what you want versus the time we waste thinking about what we don’t want, can’t do, shouldn’t, etc.

For example, there are a lot of people out there besides myself that are not ‘morning’ people, I’ve come to learn. lol. So, I’m not alone in my ‘suffering’ when I get disappointed with myself because I need more than 5 hours of sleep to be productive! I’ve spent quite a bit of time lately thinking about this situation so it’s only natural that I’d come up with an idea on how to ‘solve’ it. I began thinking, “What If?”. What if I woke up at 6:00 am? Then I just imagined what I would do with that bonus time and wrote it down. Working that bonus time into a daily schedule for, say a month, I could then see the sort of progress I could make on projects that I do not normally have time to do. The next step is, of course, ACTION, which is a subject for a future date.

The point here is getting to the realization that one’s life does not have to be a long series of days filled with mundane, repetitive tasks and chores where you feel as though there is no use, no point to your life.

It’s all about Visualization. You say “What if...” (I woke up at 6 am?; I had 2 extra hours in my day?; I had enough money to buy a new car?; my house was completely re-designed to my satisfaction?; I was at my perfect weight?). You get the idea! After you say those words your mind has the picture of what you want. Now all you have to do is ‘look at’ that picture until you have a super clear vision of what it looks like. The longer you stay with that ‘picture’, the greater you will ‘feel’ it somewhere inside yourself. That’s called ‘impressing’. If you do this exercise a lot, you know what? It will HAPPEN! It’s a Law of the Universe and that is the Law of Attraction.

Now, this law is not magic. It’s just a fact that when you want something and you spend a lot of time thinking about it, you just naturally begin to do things you need to do to get it into your life. This is a beautiful thing to know!

I have wanted an L-shaped desk with a hutch for many, many years. When I was planning the move to Idaho, I even contemplated buying a desk and having it shipped to the new destination before I arrived so I could have a fresh start. I opted to wait because I was unsure of the dimensions of the room and the coveted desk.

Eventually, my state of disorganization had become so unbearable that I decided I HAD TO HAVE this desk to make progress. So I began searching online for my dream desk.

I found the perfect desk and taking measurements of every wall, every surface of every piece of furniture in the room and planning all the angles and positions, I was satisfied that I had what I needed and wanted. There was only one problem...I could no longer afford it!

Mother’s Day was a few weeks away and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe...just maybe...my kids wouldn’t mind giving me enough money to purchase the desk. I asked. They each said ‘sure’ and I ordered the desk. I am composing this blog on my new desk at this very moment!

The whole process took about 5 months but...that’s a lot shorter period of time than if I had not played with the vision of what it was that I wanted!

So, take 5 minutes today and say to yourself, “What if...?” It’s the most productive game that you can play!


Have a great week!
Cindy Hurd


No comments: