Monday, January 27, 2014

Book Review Section

While I was in San Diego last week, I was able to finish a book that I want to share with my readers. It is called: The Hell I Can’t by Terry McBride.

This book is nothing less than riveting as it begins with Terry’s personal story of how one day he suddenly experiences a pain in his back for no apparent reason. He is a healthy, active young man in his early 20’s and suddenly facing serious medical issues that leave him feeling utterly helpless, confused and angry.

As his story unfolds with a progression of treatments, surgeries, doctor’s opinions and long hospital stays, the reader is irresistibly drawn into Terry’s personal struggle with the decision to accept or reject his plight.

The story takes place over several years during which the author takes us through his evolutionary thought processes as to his physical and mental deterioration. One cannot help but FEEL his desperation and hopelessness over what has taken place in his body and his ultimate loss of desire to live.

Then he has a vision which changes everything for him.

It does not happen quickly or overnight but becomes a steady path he decides to follow. He takes us through his process of study and of new thinking. He shows us his struggle for courage, strength and his will to take control all the while dealing with common human doubts and, sometimes, still despair.

He works hard. He thinks. He conquers.

As Bertrand Russell (British philosopher, 1872-1970) once said, “Most people would rather die than think.” Terry McBride decided he would rather think than die! And what he accomplishes is nothing short of a miracle.

For all of us with some form of physical ailment that we think limits us in our abilities to cope with the world and our lives, this story is not only an inspiration but a lesson and, frankly, a good kick in the pants!

The lesson learned is almost as old as time itself...”you become what you think about.”

So, I am highly recommending this book and as a side note, I was able to borrow it on my Kindle for the trip to California as I did not want to carry the hardcover copy I purchased in my luggage.

My only regret is that I did not read the book a year ago when it was first recommended to me. I could have been well down the road to my own great health by now, if I had.

The Hell I Can’t by Terry McBride. Go read it!


And have a fantastic day!!

No comments: